NSS (National Service Scheme)
ACHEIVEMENTS OF 2016-17
National Young Leaders Programme Award (NYLP) instituted by Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Govt. of India- recognizing the second best unit under University of Calicut, 2015-16
State Award for the activities of the year 2015-16
Best Programme Officer: Dr. E.Julie
University Award for the activities of the year 2015-16
Best NSS Unit
Best Programme Officer: Dr.E.Julie
Best NSS Volunteer: Gayathri.T.K
- 1st prize in PPT Competition conducted by CWRDM as part of World Wetlands Day
- 2nd prize in ‘Idea Presentation’ at Digital India Workshop organized by Union Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
- Overall Championship in Intercollegiate NSS Sports fest “Aaveg 2016”.
- 2nd Runner up in the Intercollegiate NSS Arts Fest “Aaravam 2017”.
- 5th runners up at the State level in the ‘Map My Home’ programme conducted by the Department of Survey and Land Records, Government of Kerala, and Local Guides across 3 districts and among 18 colleges.
The regular activities that were undertaken during the year 2016-2017 are summarised below:
World environment day celebrations: Volunteers pledged to take up the cleaning of Mananchira Square, Kozhikode for the next one year on a monthly basis. 300 saplings were distributed among the staff and students of the College. The volunteers planted saplings at Kavu Nagar, Thondayad in association with the Department of Social Forestry, Kozhikode. The function was inaugurated by Dr. Arsu, former Head, Dept of Hindi, University of Calicut. Saplings were also handed over to Balika Sadanam, Eranhipalam.
Map My Home (In search of unknown destinations): NSS volunteers participated in the “Map My Home 2.0 Contest”, a programme conducted by the Department of Survey and Land Records, Government of Kerala, and Local Guides across 3 districts and among 18 colleges. The competition lasted for 20 days and our college was one among the five best Colleges in Kerala.
Back To Nature:
- Karkkidaka Kanji: An awareness programme on KARKIDAKAM, the Malayalam month, was conducted to reveal the importance of KARKIDAKAM and to preserve the rich traditions of the State. KARKIDAKAM KANJI was prepared by the NSS volunteers and served in the campus. The Ayurveda-based medicated gruel called KARKIDAKA KANJI is prepared to prevent various monsoon related problems and to restore individual health.
- Organic Farming: Volunteers initiated organic farming at Balika Sadanam, Eranhipalam as well as in the College Campus.
Happiness index of Calicut city: A survey conducted by Regional Town Planning Office, Kozhikode on 20th and 21st of August 2016, for the project ”Happiness Index of Kozhikode city”. It was the first attempt of this kind.
ONAM CELEBRATIONS : We celebrated Onam with the inmates of Nayanar Balika Sadanam. Nayanar Balika Sadanam is a day-care centre for the mentally challenged students. The programme was made more colourful by the presence of the former collector Mr. N Prashanth IAS.
BALOTSAVAM : Volunteers organised Balotsavam for the mentally challenged children at Nayanar Balika Sadanam.
ANTI CORRUPTION AWARENESS KALAJADHA : As part of Vigilance Awareness Week, NSS volunteers of Providence Women’s College, performed an Anti-corruption Awareness Campaign, a Kalajadha, with the aim of creating awareness among the public about hidden forms of corruption. Volunteers staged the performance in LP schools, UP schools, Higher secondary Schools, Colleges, University, Research institutions like CWRDM, and also among the public.
ZERO WASTE TOLERANCE:
- BIO BIN construction: Going with the policy of zero waste generation, NSS volunteers were enthusiastic in constructing a BIO BIN at Kuthirvattom Mental Health Centre.
- Tackling plastic Menace: Volunteers collect plastic and other waste materials from the campus community, which they later segregate and sent for recycling.
- Replacing paper cups with steel cups at Kuthiravattom Mental Hospital Canteeen
- Mission Medical College: A cleaning drive was organised to make Calicut Medical College Campus plastic-free.
Towards Energy Conservation:
- 100 LED bulbs were distributed to Kuthiravattom Mental Health Centre.
- Energy Conservation Rally at adopted village, Vengeri.
- State Blood Donors Day was celebrated. Volunteers performed a flash mob to raise awareness on blood donation.
- Anti Drug Abuse Day celebrated at Kunnamangalam A U P School
- World Population Day
- Hiroshima day
- Independence day at Nadakkavu colony
- Teachers day celebration
- National Integration day
- Republic Day celebration at Cholappurath U P School
- Deepawali celebrations at Kuthiravattom Mental Health Centre.
- Women’s Day celebrations: Organised Self-Defense class and released spot magazine
- Monsoon Diseases at Kattuvayal colony
- Anti-Drug Awareness campaign at Olavanna Panchayath
- Weekly Literacy class at Kuthiravattom Mental health centre.
- E-Wallet popularisation classes.
Seminars /workshops attended:
- District level Seminar –‘Green Clean’ Kozhikode
- National Yoga Day Seminar at Maharani Hotel.
- Seminar on Immunization
- Seminar on Naturopathy
- Legal awareness Seminar
- Ozone day seminar at Shiksakh Sadan, Calicut
- Anti Narcotic Worshop
- E-Wallet Workshop organised by KELSA
- Seminar on Digital Banking organised by Nehru Yuva Kendra
- Inter Collegiate seminar on Anti Corruption was organised at Providence Women’s College
Camps attended/ organised:
- Nature camp at Kanjirakolli.
- Two day Pre-Camp orientation programme
- Blood donation camp
- Orientation camp for 1st year volunteers
- Leadership Camp at Youth hostel, EastHill
- Leadership Camp “Durya” at JDT Arts and Science College
- Leadership Camp at CIGI, Chevayur
Leadership camp at Providence Women’s College
ACHEIVEMENTS OF 2015-16
State Award for the activities of the year 2014-15
Best NSS Unit
Best Programme Officer: Dr.Sini.R
University Award for the activities of the year 2014-15
Best NSS Unit
Best Programme Officer: Dr. Sini .R
Best NSS Volunteer: Sijina K.P
Second Prize in the University Level NSS Fest ‘Aaravam’2k16
ACHEIVEMENTS OF 2014-15
Token of Appreciation by the Hospital Management for initiating a proper waste management system at Kuthiravattom Mental Health Centre, Calicut.
ACHEIVEMENTS OF 2013-14
1. Jinnu Peter and Anusree.L won the second prize- a cash award of Rs.50,000/ in the NSS project presentation competition conducted by ‘Seed Mathrubhumi’ at Thiruvananthapuram on the topic ‘Energy conservation through students’
2. Green Core Committee felicitated the NSS units of Providence Women’s College as the first college in Kerala to initiate plastic waste disposal project successfully.
3. The NSS units won the Mother Veronica Rolling Trophy instituted by Providence Women’s College for the ‘Best Performance in Extension Activities’
4. COD, Thamarassery presented a momentum as a token of appreciation for the NSS units’ project presentation on Waste Management
NATIONAL /STATE /REGIONAL LEVEL CAMPS
Four volunteers participated in the National Integration Camps held at Chithara University, Himachal Pradesh, St. Michael’s College, Cherthala and Rani Chennamma University, Belgaum
1. Adventure Camp at NARKANDA (Himachal Pradesh) from 5th to 30th October, 2015
• DR. E. JULIE, NSS PROGRAME OFFICER secured A Grade
• Ms. ANAMIKA, secured A Grade
• Ms. ANJANA KP secured A Grade
2. ANJU P JOSEPH was a participant in the South Zone NSS Pre – Republic Day Parade Camp from 21st to 30th September, 2015
3. Orientation Programme at Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Youth Development,
Sriperumbudur from 18th to 20th June 2015
• DR. E. JULIE, NSS PROGRAME OFFICER
• Ms. SHILP. M
• Ms. GAYATHRI T. K
• Ms. BINDA ROSE
4. Training of Trainers on “YOUTH EMPLOYABILITY”, RGNYD &
M. S. Swaminanthan Research Foundation, Wayanad, from 18th to 22nd January 2016
• DIVYA C P
• ANUSREE N K
• RAMZEENA BEEGAM E
• ATHULYA P. T
• ASWANI S
5. Employability Skills Training for Youth, RGNYD & LISSAH,
Puthuppady, from 11th to 15th February, 2016
• SAHALA A. K
• AJEESHMA C. G
• JEESHMA GOPALAN
• DRISYA DINESH
6. Nature Camp at Aralum Wild Life Sanctuary, Kannore, from 9th to 10th April, 2016
8. YGC Camp at Guruvayoorappan College
STATE LEVEL CAMP
1. A three day camp was organised from 11 July 2014 by Yuvajana Kshema Board and National Service Scheme (Technical cell) at Govt. Engineering College, Sreekrishnapuram,Palakkad
- Sijina K.P
- Chinju Raj
2. “Aparajitha”-State Level Women’s Workshop -2015, a three day workshop was organised from 20 – 22 March 2015. The programme was organised by Kerala State Youth Welfare Board.
- .Zeeba Subair,
- Judith Carolin Correya,
3. A Three Day Residential Training programme on the topic Life Skills for Red Ribbon Club Peer Educators was organised by CIGI training centre, Chevayoor, Calicut from 21 to 23 November 2014.
4. Sarvodhaya League Convention was organized on 18th October 2014 at Gandhigraham. 20 NSS volunteers participated in the event.
NATIONAL LEVEL CAMP
- Alakananda attended 18th NATIONAL YOUTH FESTIVAL AND YOUTH CONVENTION held at Ludhiana, Punjab from 12th January to 16th January.
STATE LEVEL CAMP
- ARANI Gandhiyan Samoohya Padana Shibiram, 17th -19th February held at PMOC
- Life Skill Education Programme for RED RIBBON CLUB PEER EDUCATORS 2013
EXCLUSIVE INITIATIVES (Innovative Programmes Undertaken by the College NSS Unit) 2015-16
- A Check dam construction at Chethukadavu, Kunnamangalam, Kozhikode proclaiming the motto ‘To Conserve Water, To Conserve Life’.
- Well Renovation and Recharge at Nadakkavu residential colony, Kozhikode: ‘Boon to Nadakkavu Colony’
- The construction of Waste Segregation and Decomposition Yard at the District Collectorate.: A Zero Waste Management project successfully implemented at Mental Health Center and continued in the District Collectorate.
- Pipe Compost Construction at Santhinagar Colony: Theme ‘Best Out of Waste’
- The Conversion of 1acre waste land to a wealthy land at Ballikasadan
- Mathematical garden at East Kunnamangalam AUP School: The mathematical garden was a model consisting of different geometrical shapes.
- Cleaning of Manachira Square: A restoration programme to bring back the glory and rich heritage of Mananchira, the only source of drinking water supply to the hotels and shops in the city of Kozhikode.
- Construction of toilet, plastering of wall and flooring of house for a needy student of the campus.
- Harithasena at National Athletics School & Global Ayurveda Meet.
- ‘Wick Irrigation’- Wick, a Trick of Self-Watering: “Thiri Nana”- A self-watering technique which lessens the water intake for agriculture to a great extent.
- Punarjani : A programme to conserve the realities and traditions of Karkidagam, the Malayalam Month
- ‘Life style Disease’ detecting camps at colonies :To prevent diseases at an early stage
- NSS day celebration: “Theater Sketches” the epic drama presented. The play showcased the real life situations of the present generation and the performance was an eye opener to the young generation.
- NSS FEST AARAVAM 2K16: An occasion of togetherness and celebration. AARAVAMNSS FEST, organized by University of Calicut has events spanning the entire NSS spectrum of both districts and provides a common platform to the NSS volunteers to work together, interact and to know each other in a better way.
FURTHER HIGHLIGHTS OF 2015-16
- Environment Awareness Programmes
- Work shop on Climatic Challenges and Climatic ChangesEnvironment Day Programmes
- District level inauguration of Suchithwa Mission Environment programme Campaign
- Clay Portrait exhibition
- Planting of Saplings
- Monsoon Diseases Awareness Campaign
- Distribution of pamphlets describing the causative agents and measures for prevention of diseases.
- Awareness class to the community
- Survey of the details of the person affected and the treatments underwent
- Seminar on Waste Management at King’s Fort Hotel by Suchithwa Mission
- Inauguration of Waste Management Unit at Collectorate
- Wet land Conservation Seminar- Thanneerthada Samrakshanum at Shikshaksadan
- An eco-spot Visit
ANTI DRUG AWARENESS PROGRAMMES
- Seminar on the ill effects of tobacco smoking at New Bus Stand, Kozhikode
- An Awareness class cum exhibition on the harmful effects of Tobacco at campus
- Anti-Tobacco Awareness class at MAM UP school
- Anti-Narcotics Awareness class at Koilandy Government School.
SENSE OF SOCIAL AND CIVIC RESPONSIBILITY
- Human Chain formation against ‘Child Sexual Abuse’
- Protest for Justice to Jisha
- For Chennai Flood Relief –A fund of Rupees18,000 was collected in collaboration with Mathrubhumi in facilitating the distribution of the necessary relief items.
- DONATIONS: To meet the felt needs of the community
- Book Donation to the Sub Jail library, Kozhikode
- Cloth Donation to a Tribal colony at Nilambur
- Donation for Building Fund at AUP School, Malaparamba, Kozhikode
- Donation for the heart surgery of a five years old child at Santhinagar colony
- WOMEN’S MOCK PARLIAMENT: To develop self-confidence as well as leadership quality
- Training meant to create awareness about the functioning of the top legislative body in the country.
- The students enacted the role of the ruling as well as opposition party MPs besides that of the Ministers and the Speaker.
- The aspects related to the functioning of Parliament were covered during the mock session.
- VEETHOLSAVAM 2016: A two day seminar at Kunnamangalam, Kozhikode, organized as part of conserving indigenous seeds, breeds of animals etc
- Paper presentation by NSS volunteers on Natural Farming at Campus & Community
- World Yoga Day –Yoga Practice at the Campus
- Reading Week-Shadow Play
- World Population Day Celebration-Signature Campaign
- Independence Day Celebration at Kattuvayal Colony
- Independence Day Celebration at Child Care cancer unit
- Onam Celeberation at Palliative Care
- Onam Celeberation at Cancer Care Unit
- Teacher’s day Celebration in the Campus
- Ozone day related competitions at Polytechnic College
- World Alzheimer’s Day – Alzheimer’s Center visit and Interaction with Inmates
- NSS Day Celebration
- Cleaning of Gandhi Road on October 2nd.
- World Mental Health Day –Cleaning at Kuthiravattom Mental Centre
- Observance of Vigilance Week
- Observation of National Integration Week:
- National Youth Day Celebration at Holy Cross College. Presented a Skit on an Aids Awareness theme at Holy Cross College, Kozhikode
- Organised a Marathon to Calicut beach as part of Human Rights Day
- Republic day Celebration at Balikasadanam
- WATER DAY : WASH concept (Water, Sanitation, Hygiene) was propagated during the campaign
ORIENTATION /AWARENESS CLASSES
- Orientation for First Years
- Awareness class on Acts to Protect Women
- Orientation class to the NSS volunteers of Govt. College Kodenchery.
- Orientation programme at National Athletes Meet
- Palliative Training Programme at Medical College
FARMING @ CAMPUS
- Workshop on demonstrating Wick Irrigation by CWRDM
- Adoption of wick irrigation technique in the campus
- Preparation of Plant hormone by Organic Substances
- Release of Malayalam Manuscript Magazine
BLOOD DONATIONS & AWARENESS PROGRAMMES
- Flash Mob at Calicut Beach for promoting blood donation
- Blood donation camps in the campus
- Volunteer blood donation at camps and during periods of emergency
SWASRAYA BHARATH 2015
- NSS unit volunteered the National level science meet Swasraya Bharat 2015. It was a gathering of personalities from different streams of science under the same platform. The overall super vision was by IISR, Kozhikode.
SWATCH BHARAT ABHIYAN
- Cleanliness Drive in the Campus
SOCIO-ECONOMIC, HEALTH –SURVEY
- Socio-Economic, Health –Survey at Naddakavu Colony
- Socio-Economic, Health –Survey at Kattuvayal Colony
- Socio-Economic, Health –Survey at Ambedkar Colony
- Life Style diseases detecting Camp in the Campus
- Life Style diseases detecting Camp at Kattuvyal Colony
- Life Style diseases detecting Camp at Kalluthan Kadavu Colony
- Medical Camp at Nayanar Ballika Sadan
Spotlight Programmes: 2014-15
World Environment Day celebrations
- Distribution of saplings among teaching, nonteaching staff and students.
- World Environment Day activities in the campus.
- Planting of Saplings
- Rally on Save Environment
- Essay competition on Environment in the campus.
Soil Health Restoration Programmes
- Soil survey in nearby locales
- An orientation class on the methods of collection of soil samples
- Collection of Soil samples
- Preparation of soil samples for testing
- Transfer to the soil testing laboratories
- Analysis of soil samples
- Distribution of the result of Soil Analysis
Promotion of Natural Farming among Volunteers
- Project by NIRAV residence and NABARD to form farmers’ club
- Inauguration of Youth Farmers club in the campus.
- Submission of the project “Haritholsavam at Kozhikode”.
- Natural farming in the campus
- Preparation of land
- Preparation of jeevamritham and beejamritham
- Classes on the methods of biological control of pest
- Application of pheromone Trap
- Planting, Watering, Application of Green Manures
- Following mulching practices.
- Sale of chemical-free organic vegetables in the campus.
- Farming at the adopted village.
- Preparation of land.
- Watering and Manuring
- Inaugural function on Harvesting in the Adopted Village
Promotion of family farming among staffs and students
- Participation by the programme officers in programmes organised for the promotion of organic farming
- Participation of the students at various meetings related to organic farming
- Distribution of seeds to the staff and students of the campus
- Survey conducted among teachers for the supply of grow bags from the Dept. of Agriculture.
- Registration for grow bags
- Supply of grow bags in nearby residential areas and in the campus
Plastic gratis force @ Campus
- Year-long collection of plastic wastes from the campus and transfer to the recycling unit.
- Monitoring the plastic waste disposal in the campus.
- Plastic free campus rally in the campus.
- Separate plastic waste disposal bins fixed in the campus and meticulous supervision of the disposal of waste to the recycling unit.
Plastic gratis force @ Collectorate
- Meeting at the Distirct Collectorate for the promotion of Cleaning Drive.
- NSS volunteers’ participation in the clean drive
- Interaction with District Collector for the improvement of Waste Management at the District Collectorate
- Meetings for the formation of Monitoring Committee
Adoption of Kuthiravattom Mental health Center for the Sparkling Drive- organised to facilitate proper Waste Management System
- Meetings for adopting waste management techniques
- Plastic waste collection and segregation of different types of wastes
- Transferring to recycling unit
- Monitoring the disposal of plastic waste
- Facilitating proper Waste Management System at Kuthiravattom
- Certificate of appreciation from the Minister.
‘Save Environment’ Curriculum @ campus
- Classes by organisations like-‘Bhoomi’
- Orientation classes by Green Core Community
- Conduction of Essay Competition on TREE DAY
- Pledge on TREE DAY
Save Environment Curriculum outside campus
- Participation in the two day International Environmental Film Festival at Calicut
- Workshop on Waste Management @ Karipur Airport, Calicut
Power @ Campus- Women Empowerment
- Kavyashilpam –Practice of ‘Kurathi’
- Kurathi presented in the campus
- Kurathi staged at Town Hall, Kozhikode
- Preparation of Karkada Kanji and its distribution in the campus
- Maveli in the campus during Onam celebration
- Indigenous flower carpet during Onam celebration
- Independence day celebrations in the campus
- Independence day celebrations with the community
- World population day-Signature campaign
- Teachers day
- Onam celebrations at Kuthiravattom Mental Hospital
- NSS day celebrations
- Sadbavan day
- Gandhi Jayanthi
- Marathon- Birth Anniversary of Sardar Vallabhai Patel
- Awareness Programmes on Aids day
- One day seminar at Tagore hall
- A class on drug abuse
- A poster presentation on drug addiction and its ill effects
- A Survey on Strategic movement against rising tobacco threat.
- An Anti-Drug Kala Jatha presented by students of Nadakav Girls School, Kozhikode
- Moksha Quiz Competition
Project –Home for Homeless
ASAP-Skilled training programme
- ASAP campaigning programme
- Flash mob
- Orientation class
Legal Literacy programme
- One day workshop on legal literacy
National Games Announcement
- Participation in the Run Kerala Run Marathon Race
Emergency Training programmes
- One day Workshop by Baby Memorial Hospital- Ayalsree Jeevan Raksha
- One day Workshop on First Respondent at Baby Memorial Hospital
- A Session by CCU, Calicut Medical College
- Palliative Training Programme at Calicut Medical College
- Release of Malayalam Manuscript Magazine
- News Bulletin
- Personality development classes
- Leadership qualities
- Orientation classes for first year students
Child care Programmes
- Distribution of teaching aids to Aganavadis
- Visits to child cancer ward
Save life programmes
- Organ donation Awareness programme
- Blood donation
- Collection of clothes for the victims of Kashmir flood.
Flagship Programme 2013-14
- Household Sufficiency and Waste Management
- Collection and disposal of plastic waste to recycling unit.
- Zero budget ‘Subash Palekkar Natural Farming’ in college campus- Restoration of Soil Health
- Preservation of indigenous varieties of seeds
- Awareness classes on the conservation of indigenous varieties of animals.
WATER CONSERVATION AND MANAGEMENT
- Water analysis in adopted villages and households through CWRDM, Water Analytical Mobile Laboratory.
- Distribution of Water Cards based on the result of Water Analysis
ENERGY CONSERVATION AND MANAGEMENT
- Training on LED bulb-making
STUDENTS EQUIPPED WITH THE TECHNIQUE OF LED BULB MAKING
ANTI-DRUG, ANTI-LIQUOR, ANTI-TOBACCO CAMPAIGN
SKILL ACQUISITION PROGRAMME-ASAP
CAMPUS TO COMMUNITY
- Programmes at Mental Health Center
- Regular visit to Mental Health Centre, Kuthiravattom, Kozhikode
- Interaction with Patients
- Cultural Programmes
- Organising small trips for the inmates in the presence of the hospital authorities
- Celebration of Important Festivals with the patients
- Giving Literacy Training to the Patients.
- Preparation of Gardens and Farms
- Monthly distribution of self-made charts to the Karunya Aganawadi, Narayankutty road, Malaparamba.
- Survey was conducted in the nearby localities of the college based on water survey sheet provided by CWRDM
- Soaps made by mentally retarded students were sold by NSS volunteers.
- Collection of plastic waste from nearby residences of our college and disposing them to the recycling unit, West hill, Kozhikode.
- Eye camp was conducted in the college with Ahalia Eye Foundation
- Power point Presentation-Eye Surgery
BLOOD DONATION CAMP
- Donation of blood
ORGAN DONATION AWARENESS PROGRAMME –
- The District Collector Smt. C. A.Latha inaugurated a programme for the promotion of the organ donation campaign organised in the college by Snehasparsham and KMCT Flash mob –For the promotion of Organ Donation
WOMEN EMPROWERMENT PROGRAMMES
PRE-MARITAL CLASSES FOR DEGREE VOLUNTEERS
ONE DAY WORKSHOP
- The Organisation ‘Speak out Loud’ conducted a one day Workshop on ‟Eve Teasing-A Social Crime???” .The Workshop included a live demo on Martial Arts and classes by Assistant Commissioner of Police Mr. Prince Abraham and Chairperson, Health Standing Committee, Calicut Corporation.
RELEASE OF MALAYALAM MANUSCRIPT MAGAZINE
- Collection of clothes and money for the victims of Uttarakhand flood.
OBSERVATION OF IMPORTANT DAYS:
- Environment day
- Independence day
- Sadbhavana day
- Teacher’s day
- NSS day
- Vayojana Dinam
- Gandhi Jayanthi
- Aids Day
SEMINARS, WORKSHOP AND TALKS IN THE CAMPUS
- A talk by Shri M.G. Vinod Kumar (Senior Assistant, Water Authority, and Kozhikode) on Water Quality Assessment.
- Yoga Vidya Pranic Heeling Foundation, Calicut conducted a class on meditation
- The orientation class for first year volunteers by Dr.Rajan Malayil, Associate Professor, Guruvayoorappan College, Kozhikode.
- A talk by Dr. Harikumar, Scientist and HOD, Water Analytical Lab, CWRDM. Distributed Watercards based on the analysis of selected water samples
- Malayalam varakosha programme
SEMINARS, WORKSHOPS AND TALKS OUTSIDE THE CAMPUS
- The inauguration of the club, "Friends of Mind “was held in Calicut Mental Health Center. The name for the club was suggested by the NSS volunteers of the college and Providence Women’s college was the first to register in the club.
- A discussion forum was conducted on Plastic Waste Disposal by COD, Thamarassery, Calicut.
- Power presentation based on the survey conducted on the topic ‘Social problems of Old Age’ at the Workshop conducted by MH, Calicut.
- NSS volunteers conducted a Rally and Flash mob in connection with a programme for the promotion of organ donation organised by Snehasparsham and KMCT.
- Participated in the programme -Orthopathy enthu,enthinu engane? By Dr.Radhakrishnan at Mananchira Sports Council auditorium
- LED bulb exhibition in Jubilee Hall in connection with Christmas fare.
23-12-2016 to 29-12-2016
Theme of the camp: Neerinay… Namukkay….Nalekkay…
Inaguration:Smt.Uma Bahra I P S.
1. Cleaning of Mampuzha:
2. Poster Exhibition: Anti-drug Awareness and Climate Change
3. Street Play: A Street Play on Anti-Corruption
4. Pachakavedi: Cooking competition
5. E-wallet Popularization:
6. Christmas Carol: As part of Christmas celebrations a Christmas Carol was organised by the volunteers with the active involvement of villagers.
7. Ground Water Recharge: Realising the scarcity of drinking water, a ground water recharge plant was initiated at Pantheerankavu H S S.
8. Awareness on Water Conservation: To create awareness about the need to control water pollution stickers were stuck all over the locality.
9. Technical Sessions: Mr.Mangal Das (State Resource Person), Mr.Prajeesh Thiruthiyil (Social Worker), Mr.Ajeesh (Research Scholar, Folklore), Mr.Subeesh (District Child Protection Officer) Mr.Nijesh Aravind (Teacher, Balussery), Mr.Sasidharan (Traffic Police Sub Inspector) and Ms.Gayathri T K(Yoga Poornima) handled the various sessions on different days.
SPECIAL CAMP –
DEC 18TH – 25TH 2015
Theme of the Camp: “Mathrthwamnishedikapedunnaprakrithikkum, VattivaralunnaJalasrodasinumayNamukkuKaykorkkam”
Work Site: KunnamangalamGramapanchayath, ChethuKadavu , Ward 10
River: Cherupuzha (Branch of Chaliyar)
18th December 2014 at 4.00 pm, by Block PanchayatPresident, Ms.Remya.Haridas. Chief Guest-Smt.ZeenathT.K. Presidential Address by the Principal Dr.Sr.Neetha. The programme was followed by Vilambarajatha
- Check Dam construction in the River Cherupuzha,Chethukadvu
Objectives of the major Activities
- To provide drinking water facilities in the villages along both the sides of the river during periods of drought.
- To provide Incidental Irrigation by storing water
- Ground Water Recharge
- Other uses by villagers like bathing, washing, fishing, recreation etc. depending on location and potentiality.
- To replenish biodiversity
To prevent soil erosion by planting bamboos on the bank of the river
The check construction began on 19th December 2015 with 100 NSS volunteers, members of Bavana Youth Club, Chethukadav and Student representatives of AUP school under the guidance of Mr. Sasidharan.P,Technical Officer, CWRDM and Smt.Hibba, Asst.Engineer, Minor Irrigation, Civil Station, Kozhikode.
At the beginning of the work the depth of the river was below approximately 20 m and width of the river at the work site was appro.30m.The volunteers filled 200 bags with sand on the first day and the filled sand bags were laid on the river from one end to about 20 m. As the work progressed, the flow of the river and the height of the water level increased. But the students with their will power and positive attitude towards the work could with stand all the adverse conditions. Though many of the students were not trained in swimming, they worked in the river with as part of the construction. Many students were given training in swimming along with their work by some of the volunteers. By the sixth day we were able to fill 2000 bags of sand and construct 30m length, 2m width; 1m height Check Dam on the river. The water level due to this construction was increased to about 40 cm to 1km distance and we were able to store 40 crore liter of water and also to recharge the ground water.
500 bamboo saplings were planted along the banks of the river.
- Construction of Ganithapoonthottam (Mathematical garden) at AUP School, Chethukadav
- Christmas celebration – Mentally Challenged Children at Chethukada
- Street Play – Promotion of Organ Donation
- Street Cleaning-The Chethukadav Junction
- Performance of Ritualistic Art form Thira
It was organised by Chathamangalam Kalasamithi with Mr.Aneesh as President. About 8 men including a little boy performed at intervals along with thira performer,matching their steps to the rhythm of the music. The entry of the thira performer in itself was epic. The event highlighted the need for protecting such unique art forms that belong solely to us. It would be impossible for any art form to exult the audience in such hysteria, a feeling aroused by thorough passion.
1. Personality & Skill Development – Mr. Mangal Das,State Resource Person
2. Self-Defensive Mechanism through Martial Arts – Mr.Vishnu.K TEMPO Martial Arts
3. Pre-Marital class –Mr.Hemapalan, HRD, Consultant, Trainer
4. Orientation class on Waste Management, e-Waste management –Mr.Babu Parambath, Nirvau Residence Co-coordinator
5. Folk Song Training Programme – Mr.Ajeesh, Research Scholar, Dept. of Folklore, University of Calicut
6. Smt. Kanchanna Kottangal –Director, P.P. Moideen Sewamandir
7. Yoga Training Programme: Mr.Shabeer, YogaPoornima
Valedictory function–24th Dec, 2015 at 3.00 pm, Inaugurated by Sri.P.T.Rahim, MLA
The activity enhanced the will power and confidence level of the volunteers. This experience enabled them to face different types of adventures in life and also inculcated in them the need for conserving nature and natural resources. They also realised the need for sustainable development. The camp was a success due to the participation of the local bodies and by the co-operation of the people of Chethukadav. The volunteers had a chance to interact and cooperate with the people of the region.
REPORT OF THE 7 DAY NSS SPECIAL CAMP 2014
(19-12-2014 to 26-12-2014)
The NSS Special Camp was organized by the NSS unit of Providence Women’s College, Malaparamba, Kozhikode at St.Michael’s Girls Higher Secondary School West Hill, Kozhikode from 19/12/2014 to 26/12/2014 The theme of the camp was “YuvathathintaeKarunyasparshamJaivaparipalanathiludaeManavamythriki’’was selected based on 2013-14 NSS theme “Healthy Youth for Healthy India. The selected projects were implemented in the selected wards 67 & 68 of West Hill, Kozhikode Corporation. The seven day camp was inaugurated by Smt. C.A. Latha.IAS, District Collector who planted samplings. This was followed by the planting of saplings by Dr. Sr. Neetha, the Principal, Providence Women’s College, NSS Programme Officers, the invited officials, the staff members and inmates of Poor Home and the NSS volunteers.
Natural farming (Poor Home)
Natural farming was a search for eco-friendly and farmer friendly alternate systems of farming and a method of reverting to non-chemical agriculture to attain sustainability in production. It is a system to find the total changes occurring in the structure of dead soil. The whole land of one acre was divided into different slots and the campers, according to their group, were instructed to start their work in the particular slot allotted to them. Initially, it was a bare land with weeds and many thorny plants. It was decided that the clearing of the land and its preparation must be done in three to four days. After the preparation of the land the volunteers started planting the saplings. The saplings were of vegetables, fruit bearing plants and tubers of banana. The volunteers planted the saplings enthusiastically. The excitement and passion of our volunteers, whose motto is to do service with the aim “Not me but you” was spread in the very blood and bones of all the volunteers.
Interaction and care for Old Aged people (Poor Home)
The volunteers interacted with the elderly people of the Poor Home and shared their thoughts and ideas with youngsters and helped in many tasks. The Christmas morning was welcomed with great enthusiasm by the volunteers, as they woke up early and were eagerly rushing to the ‘Poor Home’ for making arrangements for the celebrations with their grandparents at Poor Home. This was the last day in the Poor Home.The volunteers interacted with them, played many games and sang many old songs. All of them danced with the children, assuming them to be their granddaughters. The volunteers expressed a different type of Christmas celebration which signified joy and harmony.
Street Cleaning, Plastic Collection and transfer to the recycling unit:
To clean the streets starting from West Hill to Karikkyamkullam and from Karikkyamkullam to Thadambattuthazam and then to Vengari. The students had walked a distance of about 4 to 6 km both to and fro. They collected plastic along their way they and sang the song “Innivarunaruthalamurakeividaevasamsadayamoo………….”.There was a small gathering at Vengari where three NSS units from three different colleges met together and shared the experience of the project and handed over the collected plastic wastes to Niravu Residennce association for recycling.
• Gardening @ St. Michael’s Girls Higher Secondary School:
The students initiated the land preparation work for the club farm activity in the school and planted many vegetable saplings and also prepared a school garden and watered the plants.
• Collection of Soil sample (Ward 67):
Soil collection was conducted and the soil was collected from 50 houses as per the training the students got from the soil testing laboratory Thikkodi and the soil samples were collected in polythene cover and was readily transferred to the soil testing laboratory.
• Coastal cleaning at Butt road:
The campers collected the plastic wastes from the coastal side. They segregated the plastic wastes in separate polythene bags which were transported to the recycling unit. The paper wastes were collected in separate card boxes. A flash mob at the coastal area was conducted for propagating the theme “The protection of Environment-Save Environment”
• General Socio-Economic and Health Survey (Santhinagar Colony):
Each group was divided into sub groups and the target of the day was to cover 25 houses per group. We were accompanied by the secretary of Janakiyamythri; Mr.Shyan.P.K, Santhinagar colony and Advocate Shijo Joseph The group at Santhinagar Colony interacted with the inhabitants of that colony. Many shared their personal problems with the volunteers; some of the incidents shared by them were shocking to hear. This was one of the colonies isolated from other societies.
Shri Mangal Das (NSS State Resource person): Orientation class
Shri K.F.George(Assistant Editor, MalayalamManorama): Sprituality& Farming
Shri Babu Parambath (Niravu Coordinator):Awareness Class on Family Farming
Shri Baibu.R.L.(Sub Judge and Secretary DLSA, Kozhikode): Role &Responsibilities of NSS volunteers
Advocate Zeenath C.K. (Poonarjani Trustee, Human Rights Activist): Women & Law
The chief guest of the valedictory function was Honorable (MLA) Pradeep Kumar. The NSS volunteers presented the camp report eloquently and it was appreciated by the Chief Guest and the survey report was also executed brilliantly. The camp experiences were shared by some of the NSS volunteers and they conveyed the message that being NSS volunteers they had the self-satisfaction of completing such a fabulous camp and also interacting with various people belonging to different living conditions and also to understand the community in which they worked. They could identify the needs and problems of the community and involve in problem solving and also acquire leadership qualities and a democratic attitude and practice national integration and social harmony. The presentations by the students were highly welcomed by Mr.A.Pradeep Kumar (MLA).He also enlightened the students to submit the survey report to the government authorities for further measurements and implementation of some of the basic needs.
Annual Special Camp 2013-2014
Annual special camp of 2013-14 was held at M.A.M.U.P School in Kurvatoorpanchayat which was 2 km away from the college campus, from 21/12/2013 to 27/12/2013. Dr.Kadeeja Mumtaz, Sahithya Academy Award winner, inaugurated the function. Ms. Alakananda .P.M, the Secretary welcomed the gathering. Dr. (Sr) Neetha.A.C, Principal presided over the function. The details of the programme schedule was presented by Dr. Sini.R. Sri Devanandan , the Head master, M.A.M. UP School, Sri Krishna Kumar,-14 ward members and standing committee members of Welfare, Management Committee President C.M Abdul Rahaman, Ms.Shiji .P,Faculty, Providence Women’s College offered felicitations. Dr.E.Julie, NSS Programme officer rendered vote of thanks.
- General Health, Water Sanitation and Plastic Waste Disposal Survey.
The survey was carried out in assistance with the Kudumbashree unit of ward 14 of Kuruvattoorpanchayath. Plastic wastes were collected from 555 houses of the ward and were transferred to the recycling unit at West hill, Kozhikode.
The water samples collected by volunteers were analysed by the mobile analytical lab of CWRDM, Kozhikode
- Natural Farming- MAMP,UP School, Parambil Bazar
The preparation of the 10 cent land for Natural farming. Saplings provided by the Nature Club and Harithasena of M.A.M..U.P School were also planted using the natural farming method. Mulching effect was provided by giving a thick cover of leaves and by acquiring unwanted plants from nearby areas.
- School play ground preparation at the school campus
- Plastic free Sarovaram Bio park.-Removal of plastic wastes & planting of saplings.
- A free Eye camp- Al Salama Eye Hospital &Shone Optical, Mukkam.
- Flash Mob & Rally – Anti-Drug, Anti-Liquor and Anti-Tobacco.
- Christmas Celebration
Mr. Jaya Krishnan and Team (Paithrakam, Chathamanglam) – Subash palekkar Zero Budget Natural Farming
Mr.Unnikrishnan -Yoga class
Mr.Madhu -Effects of Endosulfan in Kasargode
Mr.SubashRao – Laughing exercise,
Mr.Vijeesh, Assistant Director- Cultural Session
The Honorable MLA, Sri .A.K. Sasidharan (MLA) inaugurated the valedictory function. The seven day NSS special camp was altogether a novel practice for the students. It helped them realise their talents and become aware of their responsibility towards society. The special camp was a rich experience for the volunteers who could interact with various people under Kudumbasree units, residence associations, and educational institutions.