The Department of Chemistry of Providence Women’s College was set up in 1958 with Mrs. Radha Balakrishnan as the first Head of the Department.
Vision & Mission
Chemistry is a discipline with unlimited scope. Being an undergraduate department, the aim is to equip and train students to acquire a strong foundation in the subject, thereby preparing them for higher studies. The mission of the department is to instill in them the Gospel values of life through academic enrichment, value education and individual mentoring. The department also considers it equally important to gear the students to meet the challenges of technology.
The vision of the department is to transform students into highly-motivated and value-oriented citizens who are essentially committed to the betterment of society and also contribute substantially towards building a new India.
- B.Sc. Chemistry with Mathematics and Physics as subsidiaries (student strength-36)
- Certificate Course: Training in Water Quality Assessment (Student strength-30)
- Open course :Environmental Chemistry (Student Strength-36)
Two well equipped undergraduate laborataries, computer lab, water analysis lab, Chemical storage room, Departmental library and audio visual devices
Dr. Gigy Abraham
|Associate Professor& Headfirstname.lastname@example.org|
Sr. Asha Thomas
Dr. Deepthi Jose
Dr Anu Jose
1. Dr. Gigi Abraham, HOD
Synthesis and characterization of photosensitive polymers and study of their photo stimulated property changes and applications, thermal stability and spectral response of photochromic polymers, Synthesis of PMMA and property studies, problems of fresh water bodies – importance of guarding the quality of fresh water resources, food adulteration
2. Sr. Asha Thomas
Email Id: email@example.com
Inhibitors for corrosion in mild steel, Water quality assessment of drinking water, synthesis of magnetic nanoparticles.
3 Dr. Deepthi Jose
Email Id: firstname.lastname@example.org
Computational studies of 2D sheets, dinuclear complexes of Molybdenum, Weakly bound complexes.
4. Dr. Anu Jose
Email Id: email@example.com
Zwitterion chemistry, Organocatalysis – phosphines, amines and nucleophilic carbenes, Asymmetric synthesis, Organometallic catalysis
- M. Prajila, Asha Thomas, Abraham Joseph;Development of Passive Film and Enhancement of Corrosion Protection of Mild Steel Exposed in Hydrochloric Acid due to the Adsorption of Water Dispersed 4-[(E)-(3,4 Dihydroxybenzylidene)amino]-6-Methyl-3-Mercapto-1,2,4-Triazin-5(4H)-one(DHMMT); J. Bio- and Tribo-Corrosion, 2017, 3:16,
- Prinson P. Samuel, Subrata Kundu, ChandrajeetMohapatra, Anjana George, Susmita De, PattiyilParameswaran, and Herbert W. Roesky, One-Pot Catalytic Synthesis of gem-Diazides and Their Direct Conversion into Safe Materials, Eur. J. Org. Chem., 2017, 16, 2327–2331
- Anu Jose, A. J. Jayakrishnan, K. C. Seetha Lakshmi, Sunil Varughese, Vijay Nair; Phosphine-mediated reaction of 3-methyl allenoate and isatins: a protocol for the synthesis of spirofuran oxindoles, Org. Biomol. Chem., 2015, 13, 3589.
- Anu Jose, A. J. Jayakrishnan, B. Vedhanarayanan, Rajeev S. Menon, Sunil Varughese, Suresh E. and Vijay Nair, Phosphine Mediated Reaction of Cyclic 1,2-Diones and 3-Alkyl Allenoates: An Efficient Protocol for Benzannulation Applicable to the Synthesis of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons, Chem. Comm., 2014, 50, 4616.
- Mandal, T.K.; Jose, D.; Nijamudheen, A.; Datta, AStructures and Electronic Properties of Heavier Congeners of Disk Like Molecules: (Si, Ge) sunflower and (Si, Ge) Olympicene, J. Phys. Chem. C, 2014, 118, 12115
- Karmakar, S.; Jose, D.; Datta, A.Tunneling Effects in Chemistry: Molecules in the Strange Quantum World, Resonance, 2014, 19, 160.
- Jose, D.; Datta, A. Structures and Chemical Properties of Silicene: Unlike Graphene, Acc. Chem. Res. 2014, 47, 593.
- Anu Jose, K. C. Seetha Lakshmi, Suresh E., Vijay Nair Phosphine-Mediated Reaction of 3-Alkyl Allenoates and Diaryl 1,2-diones: Efficient Diastereoselective Synthesis of Fully Substituted Cyclopentenones, Org. Lett. 2013, 15, 1858.
- Jose, D.; Nijamudheen, A.; Datta, A. Tip Enhanced Raman Spectroscopy (TERS) as a Probe for the Buckling Distortion in Silicene, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys.2013,15, 8700.
- Ankit Jain, K. Venkata Rao, Chidambar Kulkarni, Anjana George and Subi J. George, Fluorescent Coronene Monoimide Gels via H-bonding Induced Frustrated Dipolar Assembly, Chem. Commun., 2012, 48, 1467-1469
- Vijay Nair, Anu Jose, K. C. Seetha Lakshmi, RejithamolRajan, Suresh E, A Facile Four-Component Protocol for the Synthesis of Dihydropyridine Derivatives, Org. Biomol. Chem. 2012, 10, 7747
- Jose, D.; Datta, A. Understanding of the buckling distortions in silicene.J. Phys. Chem. C 2012, 116, 24639.
- Jose, D.; Datta, A. Tunneling Governs Intramolecular Proton Transfer in Thiotropolone at Room Temperature. Angew. Chem. – Int. Edn.2012, 51, 9389.
- Nijamudheen, A.; Jose, D.; Shine, A.; Datta, A. Molecular Balances Based on Aliphatic CH…π and Lone Pair…π Interactions. J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 2012, 3, 1493.
- Das, S. K.; Patra, A. S.; Jose, D.; Sarkar, M. Investigating the interaction of a nitrobenzoxadiazole derivative with metal ions: Photophysical and theoretical (DFT) study. Chem. Phys. Lett. 2012, 528, 11.
- Gopikrishnan, C. R.; Jose, D.; Datta, A. Electronic Structure, Lattice Energies and Born Exponents for Alkali Halides from First Principles. AIP Advances, 2012, 2, 012131.
- Abraham, S. A.; Jose, D.; Datta, A. Do Cation…π Interactions Always Need to be 1:1? ChemPhysChem, 2012, 13, 695.
- Nijamudheen, A.; Jose, D.; Datta, A. Metal Encapsulation Mediated Planar to Three Dimensional Structural Transformation in Au-Clusters: The Venus Flytrap Effect. Comput. and Theor. Chem., 2011, 966, 133.
- Nijamudheen, A.; Jose, D.; Datta, A.Why Does Gold(III) Porphyrin Act as a Selective Catalyst in the Cycloisomerization of Allenones? J. Phys. Chem. C, 2011, 115, 2187.
- Jose, D.;Datta, A. Structures and electronic properties of silicene clusters: a promising material for FET and hydrogen storage.Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys.2011, 13, 7304.
- Jose, D.;Datta, A. Role of Multicentered Bonding in Controlling Magnetic Interactions in π-stacked bis-dithiazolylradical.Cryst. Grow. & Des. 2011, 11, 3137.
- Vijay Nair, Rajeev S. Menon, Biju A. T., Sinu C. R., Rony Rajan Paul, Anu Jose, Sreekumar V., Employing homoenolates generated by NHC catalysis in carbon-carbon bond-forming reactions: State of the art. Chem. Soc. Rev. 2011, 40, 5336.
- Vijay Nair, Rony Rajan Paul, Seetha Lakshmi, K.C., Rajeev S Menon, Anu Jose, Sinu, C. R. N-Heterocyclic carbene (NHC) catalyzed annulation of enals and vinyl ketones: A novel synthesis of [2H]-pyranones, Tetrahedron Letters. 2011, 52, 5992.
- Vijay Nair, Rony Rajan Paul, Padmaja, D.V.M., Aiswarya, N., Sinu, C.R., Anu Jose,NHC-catalyzed annulation of enals and chalcones: Further explorations on the novel synthesis of 1,3,4-trisubstituted cyclopentenes.. Tetrahedron 2011, 67, 9885-9889.
- Vijay Nair, Vimal Varghese, Rony Rajan Paul, Anu Jose, Sinu, C.R., Rajeev S. Menon, NHC Catalyzed Transformation of Aromatic Aldehydes to Acids by Carbon Dioxide: An Unexpected Reaction. Org. Lett. 2010, 12, 2653.
- Jose, D.; Datta, A. Molecular Rotor Inside a Phosphonate Cavitand: Role of Supramolecular Interactions.J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 2010, 1, 1363
- Anu Jose, Rony Rajan Paul, Resmi Mohan, Smitha C. Mathew, Biju, A.T., Suresh E., and Vijay Nair Reactions of Morita-Baylis-Hilman acetates with Huisgen Zwitterions-A novel strategy for the synthesis of b-aminoacid derivatives. Synthesis, 2009, 1829.
- Vijay Nair, Sinu C. R., Bineesh P. Babu, Vimal Varghese, Anu Jose, Suresh E, Novel Nucleophilic Heterocyclic Carbene Mediated Stereoselective Conjugate Addition of Enals to Nitrostyrenes via Homoenolate. Org. lett. 2009, 11, 5570.
- Jessiamma Joseph, Geetha Parameswaran, Water quality Index of different areas of Calicut city Asian Journal of Chemistry,2006, 18, 485-490.
- Gigy Abraham and E. Purushothaman , Photoinduced Conductivity Changes of Polyvinyl Esters and Polysters with Azo Chromophores , Indian J. Chem. Tech., 2002, 10, 175.
- Gigy Abraham and E. Purushothaman, Synthesis and Photostimulated Dilation Change of Polymers with Azobenzene Cross-links, Indian J.Chem.Tech., 1998, 5, 213.
- Jessiammaet al.Single crystal EPR study of Mn(II) doped Magnesium bis(hydrogenmaleate hexahydrate), Spectrochemica Acta-Part A, 1996, 50, 607.
- Gigy Abraham, Development of photo responsive polymers with azochromophores and studies on their photo-induced property changes. Polymer Science Contemporary Themes (1991)
ACTIVITIES OF THE DEPT. (LATEST)
ACTIVITIES OF THE DEPT. (LATEST) : View/Download