The two NSS units of the college have a membership of around 200 volunteers each year. The training that the volunteers undergo has stood them in good stead in their pursuit of higher studies and careers. The construction of two houses and roads in the college neighbourhood are some of the notable achievements in the past.
- Camps are organized, with sessions on ‘Time management and Social consciousness among women’, by students and members of voluntary organizations like ANWESHI.
- Special days like Anti-narcotics day, World Population Day, Gandhi Jayanthi, Martyr’s Day, etc are observed with suitable programmes like Public-awareness rallies, cleanliness drive
- Coastal cleaning campaigns are undertaken, in association with the Coast Guard Services.
- Kwami Ekta Week is observed, stressing the ideals of solidarity and national integration.
- NSS was chosen to participate in the Republic Day Parade in Delhi
- Volunteers attend Legal literacy classes
- Medical Surveys, Blood Donation and Medical Camps are organized.
- Volunteers participated in the Basic Support Training Programme at MIMS Hospital.
- A ten- day camp on the theme Healthy Youth for Healthy India was organized. The main activities of the Camp included
- Construction of ‘Janapriya road’
- General Medical Camp
- Blood Grouping Camp
- Eye Camp
- Awareness programme on Plastic free neighbourhood
- Cleanliness drive to save Poonur River
- Chlorination of well water
- Talks on General Health & Personality Development
- The volunteers also participate in Environment-protection activities like
- Removal of plastic waste from adopted village and creating awareness on creating a Plastic-free-zone to prevent environmental hazards,
- Planting of saplings as a part of Haritaviplavam. 1000 saplings from ‘green world’ were distributed to 100 families,
- Planting 1000 saplings in Marad, participating in the Snehatheeram programmme
- Organizing events like ‘Rain- My Life Campaign’.
- Undergoing training in Organic Farming, and implementing it in the adopted village.
- Observing ‘Karshaka Dinam’ in association with Green World Project, by planting paddy saplings
- Community Development activities were taken up jointly by our NSS units, Green World and Nanma, Vengeri. The activities include:
- ‘Lahari Virudha’ Seminar’-2006, an Anti-liquor drive
- Sangayatra , an initiative for Communal Harmony and Commuity Development, inaugurated by the eminet sculptor Kanai Kunhiraman.
- Thanneer Sandhya, a programme for Environment Protection, inaugurated by noted eco-social activists Ms. Medha Patkar and Ms. Sugatha Kumari
PROFORMA FOR RECOMMENDING NSS UNIT AND
PROGRAMME OFFICER FOR INDIRA GANDHI NSS AWARD 2014-15
Proforma for recommending NSS UNIT &
PROGRAMME OFFICER for INDIRA GANDHI NSS AWARDS 2015-16.
HARITHA SENA @ NATIONAL school ATHELETics MEET
The NSS force was selected for the mission considering their selfless role in the community and sup-
porting programmes to the society. It was a great pleasure for the NSS volunteers to volunteer the
National Athletes Games held at Olympian Rahman stadium under the guidance of Kozhikode
Suchithwa Mission by making the stadium and its premises plastic free zone. National Athletes game was
held from January 29 to February 2016. The volunteerswere provided with green jersey and caps as dress
code. The media titled them as “green force in the playground” . The duty at the campsite was to completely
ban the entry of plastic items
WELL RENOVATION & RECHARGE – A boon to the Nadakavu colony
Based on the socio economic survey at Nadakavucolony, we could identify many problems faced by these colony members. The major problem was the drinking water issue though they had two wells . The one well was used as a dust bin for disposing all types of solid, plastic and organic wastes. The other well which was earlier used for drinking purpose near to it was polluted due to the leaching of waste water from the nearby well. The people said that the first well was polluted to drainage present nearby to the well. So a new well was constructed at the time of election by the demand of the people for vote sake and the first well was not filled before the construction of the new. So finding a solution for the problem we approached CWRDM and they assisted us in this matter. The work was categorized in 2-4 parts and the complete work was carried out by our volunteers and few members of the colony. In the first part the well was cleaned by removing all the waste till its final depth. Thewaste removed was with pungent smell and black texture comprising, old clothes, plastic items, even television set, etc. In the second part well was fully filled with 3 loads of red mud and the well was covered permanently. In The third part the second well water was flushed out continuously for few weeks and then the water was taken for water analysis to CWRDM for the quality analysis. In the fourth part the second well was covered by a newly made iron net and a pulley and bucket was also provided. The renovated well was painted. Now the people are happily using the well for all their domestic purposes. This renovation of well was a great boon for the society at the time of the scorching heat when there was scarcity of water everywhere. But now the colony members comprising 22 families are enjoying the splendid