PROFILE OF THE DEPT: The Dept. was established in the year 1957 with Economics and History as the two main subjects.
The department was earlier affiliated to University of Kerala. In 1968 the Department came under University of Calicut.
Both Pre-University and Degree courses were held until 1992
Pre –degree bifurcation in 1992
Total Strength – 180 students in Under Graduate Programme (60 in each class as per the statutory limit)
VISION: The study of History is a quest for the great varieties of human experiences over time. The Importance of History is the importance of understanding oneself .There can be no understanding of the present without proper knowledge of the past. By not knowing the past, it is not possible to know the present or future. History teaches the evolution of humanity.
MISSION: of the department is to provide students with a knowledge of human experience through a comparative study of the past and contemporary societies. The aim is to help students understand the culture of various societies and thus also develop the ability to conduct research, analyse, assess evidence and articulate sound conclusions. The dept. also prepares the students to engage in the most rigorous historical enquiries and debates.
Add-On Course- Women’s Studies
Dr. Priyadarsini.P M .A. Ph.D
Dr. Susmitha .R M .A. Ph.D
Dr. Laina.P M .A. Ph.D
Lt. Lini E M.A
Mrs. Bharati Nair
Mrs. Rethi Rajan
Mrs. Wilma John.
Mrs. Devayani C.C.
Mrs .Omana Kuriakose
1. Namratha Hangel received the university topper award of the university of Calicut(2013 ) with a CGPA of 3.89/4
2. Gayathri T.K . won the Best NSS volunteer Award instituted by The University of Calicut ( 2015)
3. Fidha Yasmin and Gayathri T.K were members of the Malayalam Drama Team that bagged the first prize in Inter-zone and B Zone competitions in 2015
4. Fidha Yasmin- First Prize – Malayalam Essay Writing Competition – B Zone (2015)
5. Fidha Yasmin -Second Prize in the Kerala Region, of All India Essay Writing Event Conducted by United Nations Information Centre and Sri Ram Chandra Mission (2015)
6. Fidha Yasmin – Second Prize in the M.P Narayan Menon Memorial Essay competition conducted by Calicut University (2015)
7. Anju Suresh attended the National Integration held at Jaisalmer, Rajastan (2015)
8. Fathimath Zakia K won the second prize in idea presentation competition held at the University of Calicut, under the auspices of the Ministry for information and Technology, Govt. of India (2016)
9. Fathimath Zakia K won the Best NSS volunteer Award instituted by the University of Calicut in (2016)
10. Students of the department are members of softball, handball and basketball teams that won laurels at the national, state and university level competitions every year.
11. Dona Maria Jose, NCC Cadet participated in the RD parade in New Delhi in (2017)
ACTIVITIES OF THE DEPT. (LATEST)
- Audio –Visual Teaching method which includes screening of films related to historical & contemporary themes.
- Review of literature./ use of online resources
- Local History Projects done by all the students
- Students are actively involved in the project work done by the faculty including surveys and data collection.
- Map Study and Interactive discussions
- Online assignments, Open Book Examinations, Debates, Power Point Presentations
- Short term internship done in various courses like applications of computers, cookery, tallying, ornament designing etc.
- Students attend Practical Workshops in Archaeology
- Visit to Gram Sabhas to observe the functioning of the elected local self –government bodies
- Visit to tribal hamlets to make anthropological observations about tribal population in Kerala.
- Study Trips to historical destinations.
- Conducts Coaching classes for PSC and UPSC Examinations
- Visit to old age homes.
- Social awareness classes against drug abuse, alcoholism, child abuse and gender issues
- Donated a library for the kids at the Anganwadi in Malaparamba
- Electrification of the Anganawadi at Nangaripparmba.
- Tuitions given to the students of orphanages
- Distribution of food items at ‘Freebirds’, an orphanage in the locality
- E Governance classes were given by the students to the women of the neighbourhood
- Socio-economic survey of Malaparamba was conducted by student volunteers
- Construction of houses for the needy students
- Social Engineering amongst lesser privileged groups of the society
ACTIVITIES OF CLUBS:
1. Darpan – The Political Forum 2. Sanskriti- The Cultural Forum
3. Ayur – The Health Awareness Club 4. Nattarivu – The Folklore Club
5. Vaiga – The Legal Awareness Club
- Exhibitions of historical importance like – Books on football and the History of FIFA,
- Original archival documents by The Information And Public Relations Department, Govt of Kerala
- A Documentary Film Festival by The Information And Public Relations Department, Govt of Kerala
- Kalarippayattu demonstration by the Students of ‘Yodha Kalari’ Payyannur
- Competitions like debate on the Topic ‘My Prime minister-2014, Nadan Paatu competition,
- Inter -departmental Vocal music competition as part of Celebrating the legacy of Latha Mankeshkar,etc.
- Observing relevant days like International Anti-Drug Abuse and Illicit Human Trafficking Day, International Folk Day etc.
- Screening and Critical review of the national award film Chemmeen to commemorate its golden jubilee
- Ninabali, a folk performance that is getting distinct was organized in collaboration with the Folklore Academy, A Govt. of Kerala Undertaking with which the Dept. has an MoU.
ACTIVITIES OF THE ALUMNAE ASSOCIATION: A good number of our old students attend the Dept. Alumnae meeting every year on 15th Aug. and maintain a good relationship with the dept. The Dept also inivites a good number of its alumnae as resource persons on various topics.
CAREER GUIDANCE PROGRAMME: Has an Mo U with ‘Ensign’, Civil Service Academy in Kozhikode
Sri .Sreejith .E , Faculty , Arts and Science College , Meenchanda , delivered a talk on “Career After Graduating in History”
Sri Mohammed Arfath, Faculty, Civil Service Academy delivered a talk on “Tips to Crack the Civil Service Examinations “